Home occupation Procedures

What is a Home Occupation Permit?
A Home Occupation Permit allows limited use of your residence for a business type activity customarily carried on in a commercial establishment.  The home occupation must be incidental to the primary residential purpose and the residential character of the property may not be changed.  Every person permitted to carry on a home occupation shall also obtain an annual City business license.  Every home occupation permit issued shall be personal to the permittee and applicable only to the specific use and to the specific property for which it is issued.  Permits for home occupations are not transferable from one location to another and do not run with the land.
How do I apply for a Home Occupation Permit?
  • Applications are available at the City Planning Department, Elko City Hall. 

  •  It is recommended that a potential applicant discuss their request with the City of Elko Business License Department prior to filing for a home occupation permit.  

  • It is also recommended that a potential applicant discuss their request with an Elko City Planning Staff member to determine applicability.

  • A non-refundable $25.00 filing fee must accompany the application.

What is the criteria for a Home Occupation Permit? 

  • Not more than one occupation in any single dwelling unit.
  • Such use shall be confined to the dwelling unit and occupants thereof.
  • No employee shall be permitted to report to work at such dwelling.
  • The sale of goods, samples, materials or other objects shall be confined to those produced on the premises and in no case shall finished products be brought in from the outside for sale on lot or parcel.
  • There shall be no use of any yard space or activity conducted outside the main building.
  • No more than one room of the dwelling may be used for home occupation.
  • No signs or other indication of commercial activity shall be permitted in any home occupation.
  • No addition, alteration or remodeling that would change the residential character of the unit shall be permitted in allowing a home occupation.
  • The home occupation shall not generate vehicular traffic measurably in excess of that normally associated with single-family residential use.
  • No home occupation which would produce noise, odor, dust, smoke or electrical disturbance or in any way interfere with the peace, contentment and general welfare of the area shall be permitted.
  • The character of the dwelling and property shall be maintained in appearance and cleanliness.
  • No commercial delivery of products or materials to or from the property shall be permitted.
What happens after I file my Home Occupation Permit request?

Your request will be reviewed by the City Planning Department for conformance with home occupation criteria. A determination on the application shall be made no later than ten (10) days after receipt of a complete application.  If approved, you may then proceed with obtaining a business license through the City Clerk’s office.  If denied, you may file an appeal through the City Clerk’s office within ten (10) days after of the Planning Department ruling.  The City Manager will make a determination on the appeal.  The decision of the City Manager may be further appealed to the City Council.

Additional information related to Home Occupation Permits or other Planning & Zoning issues may be answered by contacting the Elko City Planning Department.

Elko City Planning Department 
Elko City Hall
1751 College Avenue
(775) 777-7160

Home Occupation Application Form
Planning Applications Home Page