According to the National Fire Protection Association cooking fires are the #1 cause of home fires and home fire injuries. Most cooking equipment fires start with the ignition of common household items (food or grease, cabinets, wall coverings, paper or plastic bats, curtains, etc.).
With the holiday season upon us, that means good times and great meals. Here are some safety tips:
- Always use cooking equipment tested and approved by a recognized testing facility.
- Never leave cooking food on the stovetop unattended, and keep a close eye on food cooking inside the oven.
- Keep cooking areas clean and clear of combustibles.
- Turn pot handles inward so they can’t be bumped and children can’t grab them.
- Wear short, close fitting or tightly rolled sleeves when cooking. Loose clothing can dangle onto stove burners and catch fire.
- Never use a wet oven mitt, as it presents a scald danger if the moisture in the mitt is heated.
- Always keep a potholder, oven mitt and lid handy. If a small grease fire starts in a pan, put on an oven mitt and smother the flames by carefully sliding the lid over the pan. Turn off the burner. Don’t remove the lid until it is completely cool. Never pour water on a grease fire and never discharge a fire extinguisher onto a pan fire, as it can spray or shoot burning grease around the kitchen, actually spreading the fire.
- If there is an oven fire, turn off the heat and keep the door closed to prevent flames from burning you and your clothing.
- If there is a microwave fire, keep the door closed and unplug the microwave. Call the fire department and make sure to have the oven serviced before you use it again. Food cooked in a microwave can be dangerously hot. Remove the lids or other covering from microwaved food carefully to prevent steam burns.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact your local fire department. Have a SAFE and happy holiday season.
The Northeastern Fire Protection District, Nevada Division of Forestry and City of Elko Fire Department as your combined state and local fire protection agencies notify that a PERMIT WILL BE REQUIRED to burn within Elko County, including the City of Elko. To obtain a burn permit within the City of Elko, contact the Elko City Fire Department at (775)777-7345 during business hours.
There are many unpredictable ignition sources for a wildland fire to occur such as lightning, automobiles, recreational vehicles, power line incidents and illegal fireworks. Fireworks are illegal in the City and County, this includes possession and/or distribution. If you possess any illegal fireworks, your local fire jurisdiction would be happy to accept them for disposal.
Here are some safety tips to help you protect your home or business in the event of a fire.
1. Maintain an effective firebreak by removing and clearing away flammable vegetation and combustible growth from areas within 30 feet of buildings or structures. An additional firebreak up to 150 ft. may be required.
2. Remove portions of trees, which extend within 10 feet of the outlet of a chimney.
3. Maintain trees adjacent to or overhanging a building free of deadwood.
4. Maintain the roof of a structure free of leaves, needles or other dead vegetative growth.
If you have any questions or concerns please contact:
Keven Hall, Fire Management Officer Nevada Division of Forestry 738-3454
John Holmes, Fire Marshal City of Elko Fire Dept. 777-7350
Duty Firemen Spring Creek Fire Station 753-6411